Not every lawn makes for straightforward mowing. If you have flower beds, trees, and bushes you have to navigate around, you’ll appreciate the superior manoeuvrability that the 4-wheel-steering of the X354 adds to your mowing experience. In addition to that, a modern, car-style display, ergonomically laid-out controls, and its Twin Touch™ transmission control pedals make the X354 a pleasure to drive
Engine is smooth running and reliable with V-twin air-cooled design
The tractor is powered by an iTorque power system, a combination of engine features, and an exclusive hood design that provides superior lugging ability, even cooling, and durability.
A large 726-cc (44.3-cu in.), 14.1-kW engine at 3100 rpm has plenty of power and torque for superior performance. The larger, more powerful engine also allows the engine to be operated at a lower 3100-rpm speed for quieter operation.
Key engine features include:
- 14.1 kW at 3100 rpm
- Large 726-cc (44.3-cu in.) displacement
- Quality features include:
- Cast-iron cylinder liner
- Overhead valve
- Full-pressure lubrication
- Replaceable oil filter
- Dual-stage air cleaner
- V-twin design:
- Excellent power and performance
- Easy starts
- Smooth operation
A flywheel alternator provides plenty of capacity to quickly recharge the battery and power electrical equipment, such as lights or a sprayer:
- 12-amp charging capacity
- Regulated to keep the battery at full charge without risk of overcharging
FUEL TANK HAS LARGE, 12.5-L (3.3-U.S. GAL.) CAPACITY
Large fuel tank and convenient fuel gauge minimize the number of stops for fuel and chance of running out of fuel:
- Fuel tank has a large, 12.5-L (3.3-U.S. gal.) capacity for more hours of operation between refills.
- Large, 7.6-cm (3-in.) diameter fuel tank filler opening makes adding fuel easy.
- Located on the left fender
- Helps eliminate spillage
- Electronic fuel gauge on the dash display allows the operator to easily monitor the amount of fuel in the tank.
107-cm (42-in.) Accel Deep™ (42A) Mower Deck cuts clean and is versatile
The 107-cm (42-in.) Accel Deep Mower Deck is a stamped-steel, deep, flat-top design that delivers excellent cut quality, productivity, cleanliness, durability, and versatility. Optimal performance and dispersion of clippings is provided, even at faster mowing speeds:
- 12.6-cm (4.97-in.) depth throughout the entire deck shell gives optimum mowing, mulching, and bagging performance.
- Standard MulchControl™ system provides superior mulching performance and versatility.
- Stamped-steel design eliminates sharp edges and corners where material can build up and diminish mowing performance.
- Mower deck is suspended from the vehicle for a smooth and level cut.
- Adjustable mower wheels positioned just above ground level reduce scalping.
EXCELLENT CUT QUALITY AND PRODUCTIVITY
Deep mower-deck stamping gives excellent cut quality. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck without getting recut:
- Reducing the amount of recutting enables more power to be used to cut incoming grass, which greatly improves mower capacity.
- Helps maintain excellent cut quality at faster mowing speeds
- Clean flow of material out of discharge area prevents cut material from interfering with cutting the incoming grass, making it possible for the blades to cut incoming material cleanly.
- Even in mulching mode, cut evenness is improved compared to other designs because the additional depth allows for continuous circulation, optimal recutting, and an even distribution of clippings.
Deep mower-deck stamping gives high productivity, which gets the job done fast. It allows the cut and suspended material room to quickly exit the deck, reducing the amount of recutting so more power is available to process incoming grass:
- Greatly improves mowers capacity to maintain excellent mowing performance in difficult mowing conditions and at higher speeds
Large discharge opening is both high and wide to handle more material:
- Gives a smooth, even discharge of clippings at all mowing speeds
- Reduces the chance of plugging, especially important when operating in wet, thick, or dense grass and when bagging
- Optional cut-and-throw chute has a large, optimized inlet which aids in collecting material by using airflow from the large deck opening
CLEANLINESS - FOR THE MOWER AND THE OPERATOR
The flat-top shape of the deck stamping is optimal for keeping itself and the operator clean:
- There are few places to catch and hold material on top of and underneath the deck.
- Top of deck stays cleaner, reducing time and effort needed for cleaning and service
- Underside of deck is self-cleaning to maintain optimum performance without buildup of material to interfere with the flow of air and clippings
- Less need to clean and remove buildup of material from underside deck
- The depth of the Accel Deep mower deck minimizes the amount of material that escapes from the front of the deck.
- Limited amount of material to drift onto the operator and mower deck
- Even flow of material discharged out the chute, less recutting results in larger pieces that are less likely to end up on the operator
- Mulching prevents the discharge of material completely
- Standard MulchControl makes mulching a practical solution for most mowing situations.
Cleaning a mower deck, both top and bottom, is one of the most frequent maintenance activities:
- The flat-top design reduces places for material to build up and makes material that does collect easy to remove.
HOW MULCHCONTROL WORKS
MulchControl is an innovative, simple design that is easy to use and maintain:
- The MulchControl feature includes baffles to control the flow of material under the deck.
A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy:
- A hose-end adapter for the appropriate water hose to be used can be purchased locally for connection to the wash port.
SUPERIOR DURABILITY IS DESIGNED IN
The 42A Mower Deck has strong spindle pockets, to keep the blades aligned, even after years of tough service:
- Ribs in the deck shell add strength where it is needed.
- The 42A has a 16 percent heavier overall weight than the Edge™ Xtra 107-cm (42-in.) Mower Deck.
Smooth contour of flat-top deck stamping has few places for material to catch and collect.
Mower wheels are double captured:
- Provides greater strength and durability for longer, trouble-free life.
- Single-bolt adjustment makes setting wheels to the correct height for the cutting height quick and easy.
Low-tension belt-drive design reduces the side load on the engines lower bearing and mower deck bearings for longer life.
Rolled outer edge of the deck provides extra strength and protection.
Dual-stage E-coat and powder-paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
MULCHCONTROL IS STANDARD ON THE 42A MOWER
The MulchControl system of the 42A Mower Deck is standard equipment and makes mulching more practical for many mowing situations because it not only does an excellent job of mulching but it also allows the mower to be easily converted for times when it is more desirable to side discharge or collect the lawn material. Advantages of mulching grass clippings include:
- A beautiful looking lawn
- Grass clippings not blown onto the operator, driveways, or flower beds
- Less fertilizer use
- Elimination of the effort needed to dispose of clippings
OPTIONAL 250-L (7-BU) REAR BAGGER
An optional 250-L (7-bu) Cut-and-Throw Rear Bagger material collection system (MCS) is available for use with the 107-cm (42-in.) Accel Deep Mower. It provides an efficient means of collecting grass clippings and leaves.
The hopper design provides modern styling, great bagging performance, cleaner operation, and easy-to-empty bags:
- 250-L (7-bu) capacity
- Air exhaust duct
- Convenient spring latch
- Airflow fill indicator
- Quik-Tatch mounting
- Sealed hopper top
- Loose-knit bags available
This rear bagger chute (ordered separately) is required, along with the 250-L (7-bu) hopper, to provide a complete rear bagging system for an X300 Series Tractor equipped with a 107-cm (42-in.) Accel Deep Mower Deck (42A):
- The chute is a two-piece design to allow easy installation at the mower deck, without the rear of the chute being encumbered by the hopper.
- The top section of the chute slides into the flexible hose that is attached to the hopper and is held securely to the bottom section with an easy-to-use bungee cord.
- The MulchControl lever is located on top of the mower deck and used to open and close the discharge baffle.
- The operator is required to get off the machine in order to engage or disengage mulch mode.
- Changing from mulching to side discharge or vice versa takes only a few seconds.
- There is no need to change blades when converting between mulch and side discharge as the standard blades are designed to work in all modes.
MulchControl provides an advantage in the following mowing situations:
- Usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
- Usually side discharge, but would like to be able to close the chute to control clippings
- Always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
- Bag clippings, but want to go farther before emptying bags
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. The operator has all the benefits of mulching with the ability to change to side discharging or bagging when needed.
While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl will still mulch about one third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial-mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
- When cutting strong grasses
- When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions
- When optimum bagging and lawn cleanup is desired
VERSATILITY - EASY TO CHANGE BETWEEN SIDE DISCHARGE, MULCH, AND BAGGING MODES
The 42A Mower is designed for maximum versatility, providing the greatest ease in changing from one mode to another:
- The standard mower blades are used for side discharging, mulching, and bagging.
The mower’s cut-and-throw design allows bagging with the addition of the bagger chute and hopper - no blower is required.
- The 42A Cut-and-Throw Chute is easy to install and securely held in place at the front and rear to provide a tight seal between the mower deck and the chute.
- The rear latch is adjustable to allow for the optimum setting for easy use and a tight seal.
- The mower deck includes a rear MulchControl baffle (A), held in by two carriage bolts, at the rear edge of the discharge opening. This baffle:
- Must be removed for installation of the rear bagger chute, a 13-mm (0.51-in.) wrench is required (the bagger chute cannot be installed without removing this baffle)
- Must be reinstalled for mulching or side discharging material
- The front baffle (B) is included with the mower deck and required whether bagging, mulching, or side-discharging material.
- MulchContol is operated in the gate-open position when side discharging.
- When bagging, the MulchControl door is operated in a partially closed position, touching against the lower chute segment.
With the standard MulchControl system, changing from side discharge to mulching or vice versa is done with the simple flip of a lever.
A convenient handle is included on the top section of the chute to make installation and removal easier. A fill indicator tells the operator when the bags are getting full.
The bagger chute is securely held in place at the front and rear to provide a tight seal between the mower deck and the chute. The rear latch is adjustable to allow for the optimum setting for easy use and a tight seal.
107-cm (42-in.) Edge™ Mulch Deck adjusts for conditions
The innovative design of the 107-cm (42-in.) Edge Mulch Deck sets a high standard for mulching grass and leaves:
- Removable gates for discharge of excess clippings
- Adjustable for optimum performance in a wide variety of conditions
- Operates smoothly in all conditions
- Uses a standard V-belt and non-timed blades for reliability
An on-deck storage position is provided to store the material gates.
The underside of the mower deck is contoured and free of obstructions:
- Ensures smooth flow of grass clippings
- Minimizes grass buildup
- Designed to mulch and return grass clippings
- Minimizes fertilizer needs
- Eliminates disposal hassle
- Offset mower blades to permit blade overlap with the use of a standard V-belt drive
- Ensures the blades cannot contact each other
- Enables discharge of excess clippings, in heavy grass conditions, through two removable material gates at the rear of the deck
- No discharge chute
- Allows two-sided trimming
- Smaller storage requirements
- No tools required to open the gates
- Provides two mower wheels for a uniform mowing job
Ordering information: 5377M - 107-cm (42-in.) Edge Mulch Deck (42M)
Four-wheel steer gives superior maneuverability and trimming ability
NOTE: Pre-2014 tractors shown in photos have similar steering geometry as current models.
NOTE: In the schematic above, the solid line refers to a four-wheel steer tractor, and the hashed line refers to a two-wheel steer tractor.
Four-wheel steering provides very significant maneuverability and trimming advantages over that of two-wheel-steering-equipped tractors.
For example, with the X354 Select Series™ Tractor equipped with a 107-cm (42-in.) Edge™ Mulch Deck (the following numbers correspond to the schematic above):
- Uncut circle radius is reduced from 66 cm (26 in.) for a two-wheel steer X350 to only
38 cm (15 in.), eliminating or greatly reducing the need to back up when trimming around trees, shrubs, etc.
- Interference from the mower and tractor wheels are eliminated because they are several inches away from the object being trimmed around.
- Outside turning circle is reduced, reducing the time spent turning and increasing mowing efficiency.
Also, trimming inside curves around flower beds or other landscaping can be done more completely with a four-wheel steer tractor.
DESIGNED FOR TIGHT TURNS
The four-wheel steering system is designed for tight turns, leading to greater mowing efficiency:
- Caster, camber, and kingpin angles are optimized to reduce effort, especially when going from straight ahead to a turn.
- Steering geometry has been designed with the use of three-dimensional (3D) modeling, so all four tires are working together.
- Sealed ball bearings are used on the torque shaft and the rear spindles to reduce friction.
- Small scrub radius (less than 25.4 mm [1 in.] in the rear) reduces scuffing and bump-steer.
DESIGNED FOR EASY STEERING
Sealed ball bearings are used at critical all-wheel-steer joints for reduced friction, longer life, and less maintenance.
Easy steering is important for an enjoyable mowing experience:
- Larger, 35.6-cm (14-in.) diameter steering wheel gives improved leverage for easier turns.
- Larger sector gear gives improved (higher) steering ratio.
- A higher ratio equals lower steering effort.
- Dual-drag links help equalize steering loads and greatly reduce steering error.
- Ball-joints on both ends of the steering tie rods reduce wear to maintain accurate steering.
- Long steering arms improve the mechanical advantage of the steering system through the full range of motion.
- Steering shaft rotates on a sealed ball bearing at its lower end, near the pinion gear, to reduce steering effort and provide a smooth feel for the life of the tractor.
- Sector gear pivots on a shaft rather than a bushing to ensure proper gear mesh and eliminate binding.
- Pivoting of the upper and lower ends of the sector gear shaft on sealed ball bearings reduces steering effort and provides a smooth feel for the life of the tractor.
- Greasable front steering spindles reduce friction and improve wear over time.
Integrated hydrostatic transaxle efficiently transmits power to wheels
The Tuff Torq® hydrostatic transaxle encloses the hydrostatic pump and motor rotator groups in the same housing with the differential and axle housings. This design is very efficient and reduces the number of sealing surfaces to minimize the potential for leakage. Transaxles used are based on the specific tractor requirements:
- Kanzaki K46 – X350, X354
- Kanzaki K57 (has hydraulic capacity for power steering and power lift) – X370
Kanzaki K58 – X380
Combined with the foot controls, the hydrostatic transmission functions similarly to that of an automatic transmission in an automobile, so the term automatic is often used to describe it:
- Use of the latest valve designs gives lower sound levels.
- Large pump and motor rotating groups ensure long life and efficient operation.
A freewheeling valve control is conveniently located near the tractor rear hitch plate for good visibility and easy operation.
Kanzaki is a registered trademark of Kanzaki Kokyukoki Manufacturing Company.
Tuff Torq is a registered trademark of Tuff Torq Corporation.
Controls and display functions are easy to identify and convenient to use
The contoured dash has clean, attractive styling and ergonomic controls for easy use:
- Controls are color-coded for easy identification by the operator.
- Controls are logically placed and easy to reach.
The power take-off (PTO) switch allows the operator to get fingers underneath it, like a T-handle, to pull up for easy activation.
The reverse implement option (RIO) switch is an easy to see and use yellow button.
To simplify snow blower operation, RIO can be activated with the same hand that lifts or latches the snow blower.
The latch control on foot-lift models and hydraulic-lift control on power-lift models and the park brake latch are pivot levers for low effort.
Cruise control activation is handled by an automotive-style button.
- Separate engine speed and choke controls make starting and warming up the engine easier in cold weather.
- The choke lever is spring loaded to eliminate the chance the tractor will be unintentionally operated with the choke partially closed.
- Functional design of the throttle and choke controls provides good appearance and a comfortable feel.
|A — Caution / stop|| |
G — Service
B — Power take-off (PTO)
|H — Engine speed|
|C — Battery charge status||I — Engine speed symbol|
|D — Park brake||J — Best cut range|
|E — Operator presence||K — Fuel gauge|
F — Hourmeter
Instrument display has the look and feel of a modern automobile. A power-up sequence cycles lights and gauges to indicate they are working:
- Display features dark-cockpit design to minimize operator distractions.
- Display is back lit for night visibility.
- Night visibility is especially useful with snow blower use.
- Hourmeter makes it easy to tell when oil changes and other maintenance should be performed.
- Electronic fuel gauge provides real-time fuel level information.
- A tachometer graphically displays engine speed.
- Target-zone graphics inform the operator of the engine speed range to use for best cut quality.
- An indicator tells the operator when the PTO is operating.
- Bright caution and stop lights capture the operator's attention when important information is on the instrument cluster.
- Damage can be prevented and repair costs reduced by addressing problems early.
- Operators are advised of what the problem is if they attempt to operate the mower with unsatisfied PTO, seat, or park brake interlocks.
- The indicators are also useful to identify the reasons the PTO or engine may have shut off when an interlock is unsatisfied.
- Operators are advised if battery voltage is low, normal, or excessive.
- The service indicator light illuminates to indicate a diagnostic error code is stored.
- On-board diagnostics provides trouble codes for use by trained technicians.
- For example, a technician will be able to test switch functionality and circuit continuity without tools.
- On-board diagnostics provides trouble codes for use by trained technicians.
TWIN TOUCH™ FOOT CONTROL IS EASY TO USE AND HAS CRUISE CONTROL
Twin Touch foot pedals control the speed and direction of travel:
- Automotive-type accelerator control ensures easy operation.
- Operator can change direction without lifting foot off the platform.
- Large pedal surface gives superior operator comfort.
ADJUSTABLE LIFT-ASSIST SPRING
NOTE: The adjustable lift-assist spring is standard equipment on X380 Tractors and an option for X350 and X354 Tractors sold with 107-cm (42-in.) Side-Discharge Mower. It is a recommended option for X350 and X354 Tractors sold with the 107-cm (42-in.) Mulch Mower.
- Lift-assist spring is provided on X380 Tractors as standard equipment from the factory (it is a recommended option for X350 and X354 Tractors equipped with a 107-cm [42-in.] Mulch Mower) to minimize lift effort.
- The spring-assist kit is also helpful on X350 and X354 Tractors for use with front equipment.
- Lift effort can be easily adjusted by turning a bolt, located on the tractor front bumper, for optimum performance, depending on the equipment used (mower, front blade, etc.)
- The mower will not be inadvertently locked in the raised position when mowing through ditches.
- When installing or removing a mower or front equipment raised by the foot-lift system, spring tension may be removed from the connection points by pulling rearward on the lift pedal and raising the lift latch to hold the pedal in the rearward position.
Cruise control is standard equipment:
- To engage, push the cruise button and hold until the foot is removed from the forward pedal.
- For emergency stop, the cruise control can be released by pushing on the brake pedal or the forward pedal.
MOWER DECK HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT
A rotary dial knob makes adjusting the mower cut height quick and easy:
- Provides mower cut heights in 6.4-mm (0.25-in.) increments from 25.4 mm to 102 mm (1 in. to 4 in.)
- Returns the mower deck to the same preset height each time it is lowered
- Onboard deck-leveling gauge and Exact Adjust tool, conveniently located in the storage compartment under the seat
- Used in conjunction with Exact Adjust ports for easy and accurate leveling of the mower deck for optimum mowing performance
FOOT-PEDAL LIFT SYSTEM
Pushing with the foot to raise the mower or implement is less strenuous for many operators than using a hand-lift lever:
- The easy-to-use raised position lock operates similarly to the park brake lock.
- The foot pedal is out of the way and not likely to catch on bushes and tree limbs when mowing.
- The mower deck returns to the same preset height each time it is lowered.
PARKING BRAKE CONTROL
Depressing the brake pedal applies internal wet-disk brakes that provide better reliability and longer life than external brakes, for safe stopping.
The parking brake control is conveniently located for easy access. It holds the brake pedal securely in the locked position.
ELECTRIC PTO CLUTCH IS EASY AND CONVENIENT TO USE
The heavy-duty electric PTO clutch is operated with a convenient dash-mounted switch.
HEAVY-DUTY PTO CLUTCH
The PTO clutch is designed to operate through many on/off cycles.
RIO ALLOWS MOWING WHILE BACKING UP IF DEEMED NECESSARY
Mowing while backing up is strongly discouraged.
An operator who deems it necessary and chooses to keep the mower engaged while backing up, must bring the vehicle to a stop, then push the yellow, RIO button as the reverse pedal is depressed slightly. The operator can then release the RIO button and the mower will continue to operate.
This procedure must be repeated the next time the operator chooses to keep the mower (or other PTO-operated equipment) engaged while backing up.
Frame is reliable heavy-duty welded steel
The frame is made of heavy-formed and welded steel, reinforced in critical areas for even greater strength:
- The frame is formed from 12-gauge, 2.66-mm (0.105-in.) thick material for long life.
- Standard front bumper and hitch plate are formed from 3.8-mm (0.15-in.) steel and complete the frame assembly.
- Optional weight bracket can support two 19-kg (42-lb) Quik-Tatch weights.
FRONT AXLE AND WHEEL SPINDLES ARE HEAVY-DUTY
Front axle is made of nodular cast iron:
- Cast-iron front axle is strong and shock resistant.
- Cast iron will not yield under heavy loads or impact.
Replaceable bushings are used at the front axle pivot and steering spindles of models with power steering:
- Bushings provide excellent wear resistance.
- Grease cavity between the bushings maintains lubrication and easy steering between greasings (X370).
- Grease fittings at each spindle are easy to service.
FRONT STEERING SPINDLES
Front steering spindle diameter is 19 mm (0.75 in.) for strength and long life:
- Have strength to handle heavy implements
- Provide long life at bearing surfaces
- Use sealed, precision bearings in front wheels
REAR EQUIPMENT-MOUNTING SYSTEM IS HEAVY-DUTY FOR EASY INSTALLATION OF A VARIETY OF EQUIPMENT
A heavy-duty equipment mounting system is used:
- Includes strong frame mounts with a combination of mounting holes in the tractor hitch plate that accept pins or shoulder bolts to support heavy, rear-mounted equipment
- Easily attach optional equipment to the tractor
- Can bear the load of heavy, rear-mounted equipment, such as material collection systems
Modern styling with functional design enhances appearance and performance
Smooth, rounded contours present a modern, styled appearance:
- Hood styling incorporates efficient, full-length air-intake louvers on each side, rather than on the top.
- Cooler engine operation
- Lower operator station sound levels
- Hot air is vented out the front grille, away from the operator.
- The fully enclosed hood is made of molded-in-color material.
- Reduces sound
- Will not rust or dent
- Distinctive grille and large, one-piece fender deck complete the styling package.
TWO HIGH-QUALITY HEADLIGHTS GIVE EXCELLENT VISIBILITY
Headlights are standard equipment on all models:
- Two 27-W bulbs provide excellent lighting for good visibility during evening operation.
- A dash-mounted switch is used to conveniently turn the headlights on or off.
- The headlights are designed to provide an optimum lighting pattern for mowing and snow removal.
Operator station is comfortable and convenient
The operator station is designed for operator comfort and ease of using controls:
- A large, 36-cm (14-in.) diameter, steering wheel is comfortable to use and minimizes steering effort.
- Full-length foot mats provide comfort for the operator and protect the footrest area.
A 46-cm (18-in.) high-back, cut-and-sewn seat delivers a comfortable, smooth ride and excellent support for the operator:
- A smoother, more comfortable ride results from the use of more foam than in a form-in-place seat and more side-bolstering to stabilize the operator on uneven terrain.
- Improved visual appeal is provided by the thicker cushion, additional bolstering in the seat and back, and an embroidered John Deere logo that makes this upscale seat look as good as it feels.
- Long-term pliability and less chance of cracking are advantages of the cut-and-sewn process, which does not require heating during the manufacturing process and gives a more uniform vinyl thickness.
- Additional operator support and comfort is available with optional BM23761 armrests.
- Reduced cost of repair, should the seat cover be damaged, is available with a replaceable seat cover available from Parts.
- Seat travel of 17 cm (6.6 in.) with 15 positions allows the operator to be seated comfortably and easily operate the controls.
- Seat can be easily adjusted fore and aft by the operator while sitting on the seat.
ADJUSTABLE SEAT SUSPENSION
The seat suspension is adjustable, without tools, for the weight of the operator:
- Springs are adjustable fore and aft to any of three positions.
- No tools required
- Allows fine tuning of the suspension for the operator's weight
- Back position for more support for heavier operators
- Tool tray is designed into the seat base.
- Can be used to store gloves, small tools, etc.
- Convenient storage location for Exact Adjust wrench and gauge
CUP HOLDER AND TOOLBOX
A cup holder and toolbox are located on the fender for operator convenience:
- The cup holder holds a variety of container sizes.
- Toolbox provides convenient storage.
- Toolbox cover snaps closed to provide protection for loose tools, cell phones, etc.
- Cup holder and toolbox are constructed of durable acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) plastic.
A mid-vehicle, 12-V fast connector, located under the tractor’s fuse box, is included as standard equipment to reduce initial installation time for some attachments that operate on 12-V power from the tractor:
- The four-cavity connector includes battery, ground, and key switch terminals and is turned on and off with the ignition switch.
Serviceability is convenient with easy-open hood
The one-piece hood opens easily to permit checking and servicing the engine:
- Important service points are located within easy reach.
- A service-interval decal is provided inside the tractor hood for convenience when servicing the tractor.
- The high-quality engine used in the X300 Series does not require an 8-hour oil and filter change because improvements in the manufacturing process and quality of parts, components, and oils have eliminated the need for the short interval oil change requirement.
The engine fuel and oil filters, the oil check/fill tube, and the oil drain tube are exposed for serviceability when the hood is opened.
EXACT ADJUST PORTS AND ONBOARD DECK-LEVELING TOOLS MAKE PRECISE DECK ADJUSTMENTS EASY
A mower deck must be level side-to-side and properly adjusted front-to-rear to give the best cutting performance. A removable onboard deck-levelling gauge and a hex-key tool are provided to make adjustment easy. They are securely stored under the tractor seat.
Exact Adjust levelling ports are provided on each side of the operator platform above the mower-level adjusting bolts. With the hex-shaped tool, they provide convenient access to allow quick and easy adjustment of the mower for the best-cut quality of cut.
The Exact Adjust feature is standard on all Select Series™ X300 and X500 Tractors:
- There is no need to reach under the fender deck while making the mower-level adjustment.
- Onboard deck-levelling gauge, Exact Adjust ports, and the hex tool work together.
- Level the mower deck side to side
- Set the correct amount of rake (front-to-back deck orientation)
- Calibrate the cutting height to the cut-height adjusting knob setting
- Exact Adjust simplifies levelling the mower deck if equipped with a Power Flow™ blower.
- To give the best cut, mower level should be adjusted if alternately mowing with and without blower installed. The Exact Adjust feature makes this easy.
Consult the operator's manual for the correct adjusting procedures for each tractor model. Basic adjusting steps to properly level the mower deck include:
- Park the tractor on a level surface.
- Inflate tires to the correct pressure.
- Consult the label for the cutting-height knob that is located on the console of the machine. This label shows deck-levelling position and location of deck-levelling adjustment points.
- Set mower cutting-height knob to the correct deck-levelling position.
- Adjust mower wheels as necessary so they do not contact the ground surface.
- Remove the onboard deck-levelling gauge that is located under the seat.
- Using the Exact Adjust ports and tool, adjust mower deck side-to-side level so the deck-levelling gauge just slips under the left and right lower deck rim at the designated adjustment points. The location of adjustment points will vary slightly between decks.
- Left- and right-rear adjustment points are under the deck rim near the rear mower wheels, if equipped.
- Adjust mower deck front-to-back level, if necessary.
- Loosen rear nuts equally on each side of front lift rod.
- Turn front nut equally on each side clockwise to raise front of mower or counter-clockwise to lower it until gauge just slips under the front adjustment point.
- Tighten rear nuts after adjustment is complete.
- Return the gauge to its storage position.